In the heart of the historic Chianti Classico region
Quercia al Poggio is a 19th century rural village located around 400 metres above sea level in Monsanto in the Municipality of Barberino Tavarnelle (Florence).
Part of the complex consists of an old convent of Vallombrosan monks from the nearby Badia a Passignano, a community of Benedictine monks dating back to 1039 and known, among other things, for its great interest in nature. With its 100 hectares of organic vineyards and olive groves, Quercia al Poggio, which forms part of a nature reserve, remains faithful to the traditions of the old monks.
Since 1997 Michela and Vittorio, the heirs of the Rossi family, have continued to modernise the company, beginning with the replanting of 12 of the 15 hectares of vineyards, retaining just 3 hectares of the “Le Cataste” vineyard from which they selected part of the scion for the replanting of the Sangiovese of the other vineyards, and proceeding with the redevelopment of the cellars, culminating in the selection of 500-litre casks and medium-sized barrels made from types of wood specifically suited for preserving the sensory qualities of Sangiovese and the other native varietals grown by the company.